I remember the Alamo. I remember the Maine. I remember Pearl Harbor. I remember September 11.
But what about when the national injustice comes about by our hand? Until my most recent reading of the Old Testament, I wouldn't have been able to recall the Ba'al Peor heresy. And though it was commited by a nation not my own, it was commited by a people to whom I owe a great deal for my instruction in faith.
Ba'al of Peor was a bad thing, a memorable thing, a thing decried from the time of Moses to the time of Hosea (i.e. a really long time), an example of Israel's tendency in specific (and man's historic trend in general) to launch sneak attacks against God. Our lips praise him, but our hearts wander into darkness, until the moment of assault, of treason, of adultery.
We commit injustices against our Lord. We remember the Alamo, the Maine, and Pearl Harbor, but can never seem to recall Ba'al of Peor.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Remember Ba'al of Peor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment