Friday, October 12, 2007

"Winning is Cheaper" - quote by Tom Wilson

Wow, this is fun. I won a secret contest at http://toscamoon.blogspot.com/ from the author herself. Tosca Lee is someone I heard about through Jeff Gerke's absolutely amazing site "Where the Map Ends." http://www.wherethemapends.com/main.htm

My prize? Tosca Moon Lee's Demon: A Memoir.

Gerke's interview with Lee was old school nerd*, hearkening to a time before faux-geek got tres-chic. Really funny, too. Anyway, from Jeff's site, I tracked down Lee's writer site (http://www.toscalee.com/ ) and then her above-mentioned blog. I was the first person to guess that she used to work at Smart Computing, so that means I haven't felt this cool since I won a purple ribbon at the 4-H fair for my text-adventure program for the Apple IIe which roleplayed the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter from the Hobbit. I was the only entrant in the computer programming category.

At the same fair, my duroc hog won reserve champion gilt (what she lost on the hoof, she gained on the hook) so I'm pretty certain I'm eligible for the Socially Undesirable Hall of Fame.

Anyhow, when I finish the book, I'll let you know. "You" being "me," of course, as I am the only you who reads this blog. So, yeah. I'll let me know.

*I'm pretty certain that Christian is the new old school nerd, since computers are so unstrange now. I hope Christians never become cool. I think every Bible should be sold with a pair of high-water pants, just to be certain...

Oh, sorry for the gunky linkages (i.e. Name - then link.) I'm rushing. As usual.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Hi!

This is the greatest blog ever written. You must be an amazingly gifted genius unlike the world has ever seen.

Are you the guy who gave Einstein fits about his hamhanded approach to the universal constant?

Color me impressed.

Sincerely,

Uh...John Atanasoff, inventor of the blogosphere.

(Or else Steve Beuerlein, inventor of the forward pass.)