Friday, November 16, 2007

Appearances Update

Last night, I was a guest on the Steve Allen Show. You might have missed me because Jack Kerouac went long, so Steve only had about 30 seconds for me. It went something like this:

Steve Allen: So, tell me, and forgive me if this sounds like the sort of question you might get from a publisher, but I'm curious...who constitutes your target demographic for readers?

Me: Well, Mr. Allen, I write really for two kinds of people, both the atheist and what I call "the believer in Anything." You know, both Charles Darwin AND Aleister Crowley. Both Arthur Conan Doyle AND Harry Houdini. Both Neitszche AND Maslow. Marx AND Keynes.

S.A.: But, all those people are dead.

Me: Pardon?

S.A.: They are dead.

Me: Oh. Yes, then. I write for the dead.

S.A.: And that's a paying market?

Me: No. Not yet.

Footage of my interview isn't up on YouTube yet, so I'm kind of worried it got cut off at commercial, but here's the first part of the Kerouac segment.

No comments: